May 5, 2022
The World Media Group brought together brand leaders and industry experts last week to discuss the key challenges and opportunities around sustainability – and specifically, marketing’s carbon footprint. Jemima Villanueva, Executive Director EMEA, The Atlantic, chaired the panel, which included Anna Lungley, Chief Sustainability Officer Dentsu; Solitaire Townsend, Chief Solutionist & Co-Founder, Futerra; and Rachael Adams, Senior Manager, Commercial Content, Reuters.
The event prompted a lively discussion showcasing many different viewpoints around subject such as:
- The way everyone can make a 5% difference immediately!
- Why we don’t need to reinvent the wheel when measurement already exists. But how do we get more marketers on board to implement it?
- Which is more important – concentrating on measurement or helping clients to pivot to focus on behavioural change?
- The innovative solutions that clever brands are creating to change human and societal behavioural for the better.
- How to avoid greenwashing when communicating about sustainability credentials.
While some of our panel agreed to disagree on specific points, everyone believed that, as an industry, we need to do more. As well as sharing their own experiences, the panellists highlighted some fantastic resources available to help marketers with their sustainability journey.